Whether to hire a copywriter or tackle content internally can be a tough decision for businesses. Why spend money on a service you can manage yourself?
The real question you should consider is: Do you want to manage it yourself and can you do it effectively?
Professional copywriters exist for a reason, and anyone who has attempted to write content in addition to running a business can attest that they’re worth their weight in gold. Here are six instances you should hire a copywriter for your business.
1. You’re redesigning your website.
This is by far the #1 reason you should hire a copywriter for your business. We can’t begin to tell you how many times copy has become the bottleneck of website design projects.
If you have a strict deadline for your redesign, you should strongly consider hiring a copywriter. There are a few reasons for this:
- Content for every page of a website is far more overwhelming than you’d expect. Sure, you may not mind the first page, but an entire website takes a while and you may lose your ambition – especially if you already have a day job.
- Writing to convert is important with all content pieces and for your main pages it’s crucial. Professional content writers have experience writing to convert and can whip up effective Calls-to-Action with efficiency.
- If you’re planning to tackle search engine optimization all by yourself, keep the learning curve in mind. To apply SEO correctly may prove a lengthy and frustrating process for you.
2. You have a unique project.
Working on a new brochure, online white paper, email newsletter, or advertising campaign? If you want it to look polished and professional, it’s worth hiring a copywriter.
3. You don’t know where to start with inbound marketing or SEO.
Quality content is at the foundation of both inbound marketing and SEO. At this point, it’s really the key to all forms of marketing.
If you hire a copywriter who has a background in search engine optimization and inbound marketing, your content will serve a dual purpose – converting visitors and allowing you to rank higher in search engine results.
According to Andrey Lipattsev, Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google, high quality content and link building are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search.
4. You need a fresh perspective.
If you’ve spent years in the trenches of your industry, it can be tough to look at it with unbiased eyes. A professional copywriter will be able to examine your business, identify your advantages, and express what sets you apart.
5. Your time is valuable to you.
Of course everyone’s time is valuable to them, but this is exaggerated for business owners who have enough on their plates already. Consider if your time is more profitable when focused on other areas.
To write quality content you need to be in the right state of mind – rushing does not help and may end up giving your audience a negative impression.
6. You’re not a writer.
Hey, everyone has their thing. No doubt you’re a pro at running your business. While some can get away with a DIY approach to copywriting, it’s never worth risking your business’s credibility.
If you’ve decided to hire a copywriter for your business, be sure to hire the right one. Stay tuned for next week’s article: Hiring the Right Content Writer: 5 Kinds To Steer Clear Of!