“SEO” is a term that gets thrown around by both the web community and business owners alike. Myths and best practices are easily interchanged by unreliable sources. Never fear.. you’ve come to the right place. We’re here to share some simple SEO tips and tricks that will help your business thrive online.
Put in the time
When our clients are concerned about why their competitors are doing well online, sometimes factors are involved that you can’t help such as:
- Age of their website
- The amount of content they’ve created
- Links established through years of ongoing relationships
The best approach is to focus on your own SEO, and before you know it, you’ll find competitors ranking below you. Continuously putting in the time, effort, and diligence online will make all the difference in the world. This applies mainly to your content creation platforms: your website, your blog, your email newsletter, and social media.
Patience is a virtue
Similar to the first point, patience is key. If you just launched your website or new web campaign (outside of paid ads or search), do not expect to start ranking immediately. It takes 2 weeks to 3 months for a brand new site to start ranking in the search engines.
Likewise, if you launch a new campaign of any kind, it will also take a bit of time for it to gather some headway. (The only exceptions here are paid search and viral campaigns, which tend to bode immediate results.)
Great SEO starts with a great website
Your website is never going to do as well as it could without starting the right way: with the basics. Here are a few quick tips to build your website with great SEO in mind:
- Build your site architecture and pages with your audience in mind. (What pages are going to appeal to them? What is going to make the most sense when someone visits your website?)
- Create a simplistic and beautiful design that is interesting and memorable…but not over the top. Don’t try to rewrite the rules by using a design that your visitors won’t be able to understand how to use.
- Enhance your website with imagery and video…but don’t rely on them. Just as great navigation and infrastructure should be supported by great design, great content should be supported by interesting imagery and video.
Treat it like a scientific experiment
If you are experimenting with your website and with SEO, treat it like a scientific experiment. First, only change one variable at a time. Otherwise, how are you to know what’s working and what isn’t? Make sure that you measure what you manage by using an Analytics program like Google Analytics. And last, but not least, stop doing what isn’t working and keep doing what is.
Follow these easy SEO tips and you’ll be ranking better in no time!