From novice bloggers to pro bloggers, we’ve gotten every question there is about blogging from our clients. Since they’re always excellent questions, we’d like to share the three biggest blogging questions we get asked.
1. How often should I blog?
Ideally, you should blog at least once a week. That said, your blogging regularity will depend on: how often you have time to write and how much you have to write about. Regardless of once a week or even five times a week, you should make sure you can keep it up. In other words, be sure that if you post three times per week, you always post three times per week. As with many things, it’s about quality over quantity with blogging.
2. What should I blog about?
The short answer? Anything and everything having to do with your industry. The sky’s the limit!
Let’s say you own an upscale restaurant in Seattle. Not only could you blog about your cuisine (“How to Recreate Our Famous Homemade Steak Sauce”), but you could also talk about Seattle attractions (“The Top 10 Things to Do While You’re Visiting Seattle”) or showcase a chef (“An Interview with Chef Marvin: 3 Secrets Only the Pros Know”).
Here are a few more ideas to get you started:
- FAQs: think about the questions you get all the time from potential customers and current customers (ahem…like this post!); chances are, if your customers are asking you, there are others asking online
- Industry news: use Google Alerts and other industry blogs to inspire you and write about what’s new in your industry
- Photo or video: build a post around a powerful photo or video
- Tips and tricks: numbered lists or questions are great for blogposts as they get people to click to read
One of the best lessons I’ve ever learned about blogging was: don’t be afraid to give away information. There’s a reason you have a business and there’s a reason customers need your products or services. If you’re not sharing valuable information for potential customers online, someone else is.
3. How do I get people to read my blog?
When you start a new blog, it’s hard to get regular readers. There are, however, a few things you can do to increase your readership, no matter how old your blog is.
- Create a press release when you launch your website/blog.
- Design your website to drive traffic to your blog. (For example, create a feed of your newest posts from the homepage or even every page of your site.)
- Link to your most recent blogposts from your email newsletter.
- Optimize each and every blogpost for the search engines.
- Share your posts on each of your social media platforms. Make each post interesting by including a photo and a unique spin on the title of your blogpost.
What do all of these things have in common? Getting the most bang for your buck out of each and every blogpost.
Have more blogging questions? Ask us in the comments below!